This week Rick and Elizabeth give you some awesome and random facts about wine that you can pull out at a party, family function, or anywhere else you need to make small talk! Elizabeth dorks out on wine history and stumps Rick on the Latin name for the Grape of the Week.
Here are the show notes:
And we answer another listener question! We want you to Call us!!! Do you have a wine-related question for Elizabeth? Anything goes! Call 800-599-8478 (in the U.S.) or 1-415-226-9105 and dial extension 5 to leave your question for the Wine For Normal People Podcast, and we will play it on the show!
- Listener Question - from Scott of MA (Rick's home state!)
- Main Topic - Fun Facts About Wine (or, Wine Trivia)
- Aroma v. Bouquet: What are they...really?
- Wine History: Paranoia about poisoning -- the origins of "drinking to your health" -- and, the potential origins of the word "toast"
- More Wine History: We take you back to 7th grade... Hammurabi's Code and a hefty penalty for wine fraud
- California's place in the world of wine: it's kind of a big deal...
- Wine Grapes: There's a lot of 'em
- Northern v. Southern Hemisphere
- For Dieters: A standard glass of dry red or white wine contains around 110 calories. Sweeter wine has more calories.
- Grape of the Week - The Blood of Jupiter (Listen to figure out what it is!!!) and why it's so variable
Dig the podcast? Please review us on iTunes and we'll give you a shout out!
Sponsored by the free Hello Vino app (wine recommendations on the iPhone or Android)