Apr 1st, 2011 by winefornormalpeople
The mystical subject of food and wine pairing... Is it an art form? Is it chemistry? Is it all nonsense? Elizabeth and Rick answer these questions, spark some controversy, and provide some guidance to help make sure your next meal and wine selection are perfect.
- Shout-outs - Some really funny Twitter replies, comments on the blog, and Facebook posts
- Main Topic - Food and Wine Pairing
- The great controversy - should we drink what we like?
- Elizabeth's metaphor for food and wine matching
- Some basic rules to remember
- The regional influence on food and wine pairing
- Dessert!! Should you drink wine with sweets?
- Grape (or Wine Style) of the Week - Rosé (roh-ZAY)
- How rosé wines are made
- Grapes from which rosé is made
- Well-known regions for producing rosé wines
- Typical flavor profiles of rosé
Sponsored by the free Hello Vino mobile app (iPhone & Android)
More at the Wine for Normal People blog
I can now pair my wine with my food with confidence!
Thanks very much for your podcast. I look forward to it each week. I am Colombian (not exactly wine country) and after leaving all over the world I am working in Europe for 3 years i realized that here everybody seems to have some knowledge on wine, so it is kind of expected during bussines dinners that people can do some wine talk. I have been learning and enjoing it very much. I try to taste one more wine every week. So, thanks again. I also have a question: once a bottle is open how long can i keep it without losing the quality? I am using the vacum gadget you recommended. Is it different the duration for white or red? Thanks in advance and keep up the good work
@KenyanWineBrat - Thanks for the comment, we’re glad you can now feel confident about ordering wine with your meal!
@Olga - We’re are very excited that you’re able to share your new wine knowledge during your business dinners. Good luck!
For your question about how long you can keep a wine after opening it, the general timeframe is 2-3 days (refrigerated). The vacuum sealer will keep the wine fresh for about a week. More on gadgets here:
Cheers, and thanks for the great comments & questions!